Lord of Lords Ryu Knight
| TV anime |
Lord of Lords Ryu Knight
Haou Taikei Ryuu Knight
|Directed by||KAWASE Toshifumi|
|No. of episodes||52|
|release dates||1994-04-05 to 1995-03-28|
|runtime||~23-minutes per episode|
Adeu Warsam (aka: Adeu the Sonic) is a 14-year old boy who is an inexperienced knight looking to prove himself by doing good deeds and being chivalrous on the planet of Earth Tear. He carries a Myst Card with him, with which he can summon the super deformed mecha unit known as Ryu Knight Zephyr. He is observed one day doing his knightly thing by Princess Paffy and her traveling companions the priest Izumi and the ninja Sarutobi. Adeu joins their party and soon discovers that his companions also carry Myst Cards in order to summon their own mecha units for their specialty (priest, mage, and ninja). Together, the group moves to stop the evil Galden with his modified Ryu unit, who intends to become the Lord of Lords of Earth Tear. Along the way, they encounter other "Ryu Riders," some of whom join their party.
Things change though when an enemy from 1000 years before begins to penetrate the Mystic Shield -- a barrier that surrounds Earth Tear from a unique mountainous sword that appears to be stabbed into the ground. This enemy, the Jya-ryuzoku (Helldragon Race) have been thwarted every time they've attempted to conquer Earth Tear and this time as the Mystic Shield is at its weakest time on the 1000-year cycle, they plan to destroy the barrier once and for all and take what they believe is rightfully theirs. Can a small band of Ryu Riders actually stop them?
 General Information
The names and titles of the Ryu units in the Japanese are English ones.
The following titles make up the entire Ryu Knight franchise (in order):
- Lord of Lords Ryu Knight (52-episode TV series)
- Lord of Lords Ryu Knight: Adeu's Legend (13-episode OVA series)
- Lord of Lords Ryu Knight: Adeu's Legend II (3-episode OVA series)
- Lord of Lords Ryu Knight: Adeu's Legend Final (1-episode OVA series)
Adeu's Legend and Adeu's Legend II are a combined remake of the TV series, though darker than the TV series and with some changes to characters and situations. Adeu's Legend Final is a super deformed parody of both the TV and OVA series.
 Ryu Riders and their Ryu Units
Ryu Riders are those humans of Earth Tear who have possession of a Myst Card with which they can summon a super deformed, somewhat intelligent, mecha unit known as a Ryu. Myst Cards cannot be used by just anyone under normal circumstances, as they chose the rider to partner with. The partner generally possesses the skill of the Ryu unit. For example, a Ryu unit that specialized in magic could have a mage as a rider. A cleric Ryu unit would have a cleric as a rider. Etc. The skill of the Ryu Rider determines how well the Ryu unit performs in combat.
Ryu units can "class-change" from their base form, into a larger, more powerful form with the aid of a Spirit Stone. Spirit Stones often embedded within a weapon for the Ryu Rider. Only upon mastering their specific Spirit Stone can a Ryu Rider perform a class change of the Ryu unit. In addition to the extra power, class-changed Ryu units also have the ability to fly once their Rider masters it, in addition to potentially having new named attacks. Class-changed Ryu units will also get an upgrade title as well. For example, Ryu Mage has a class-changed title of Ryu Wizard. The downside to the class-changed version of the Ryu unit is that it it quickly wears down the Ryu Rider inside. Once a Rider has no strength to maintain the Ryu's class-changed form, it reverts to its base, weaker form.
- Adeu Warsam (seiyuu: YUUKI Hiro, 優希比呂) -- (also known as "Adeu the Sonic") Adeu is an inexperienced, 14-year old male knight who loves to spout things a knight should do while doing chivalrous deeds. Because he runs off at the mouth so much, he can be annoying to some people he meets, but a source of inspiration to others. He was given a Myst Card by Nuzzi, an elderly but fiery guy, with which he can summon the Ryu unit known as Ryu Knight Zephyr. Adeu obtains his Spirit Stone after re-uniting with his long-lost mother, who's duty was to keep it safe and test Adeu when he came to claim it (Adeu's father having been the previous rider of Zephyr). After obtaining his Spirit Stone (in the form of a large sword), he is able to master it to class-change Ryu Knight Zephyr into Ryu Paladin, Lord Zephyr. With Ryu Paladin, Adeu has three main attacks -- Crushing Dawn (powerful melee attack), Final Crushing Dawn (A more powerful version of Crushing Dawn used in Ryu Paladin) and Meteor Zapper (a powerful ranged attack). Despite his youth and sometimes reckless nature, he's often seen as an inspiration to his older, mature companions. He appears to have a crush on Paffy, though the TV series does not go to much into this.
- Princess Paffy of Phahuricia (seiyuu: YAJIMA Akiko, 矢島晶子) -- Princess Paffy is the young sorceress daughter of the King and Queen (Maria) of the land of Phahuricia. She is away from home along with the priest Izumi when they are joined by the ninja Sarutobi, who's out for revenge against the rider of a modified Ryu unit known as Galden. Adeu joins her party as a chivalrous deed and soon he is a valued member of the party for his fighting ability. Paffy has the Myst Card for Ryu Mage Magidora. After discovering that Phahuricia has been basically conquered by Galden, Paffy makes it the party's main quest to find her parents, who managed to flee to safety. After finding them, they give her the Spirit Stone for Ryu Mage, which is an orb stave weapon. It takes her quite a while to master her stone, though she is the 2nd one to do so of the party. Once she has mastered the Spirit Stone, she is able to class-change Ryu Mage Magidora into Ryu Wizard Magidora. She appears to have an attraction to Adeu, though the TV series does not go into this much.
- Izumi (seiyuu: KOSUGI Juurouta, 小杉十郎太) -- Izumi is a priest who serves Princess Paffy and is like a second father to her. Izumi is a skilled with healing and defensive spells and rides Ryu Priest Baurus. His Spirit Stone is a mace, which he obtained from a remote temple after surviving a series of tests with Paffy and Adeu. His Ryu unit class-change name has not been revealed in the anime.
- Sarutobi (seiyuu: NISHIMURA Tomohiro, 西村朋紘) -- Sarutobi is a skilled ninja who's village was razed by Galden when he was a child. After being shown the Myst Card for the ninja Ryu unit by his female childhood friend Iori, Sarutobi takes it for himself to take down Galden once and for all. His personal quest leads him to join Paffy and Izumi's party. When Adeu joins the party, he finds Adeu particularly annoying with his constant running off at the mouth. His Ryu unit is known as Ryu Ninja Bakuretsumaru. He obtained his Spirit Stone after returning to the ninja village of Hinode. The previous rider of Bakuretsumaru had been forced to use the Spirit Stone weapon, known as Yamikaze, to stop a marauding Jya-ryuzoku soldier. However, the previous rider had only been able to seal the Jya-ryuzoku not kill him. Thus, removal of the Spirit Stone weapon will unseal the powerful Jya-ryuzoku soldier. Events force him to take the risk and while the Jya-ryuzoku is eventually dispatched, the Spirit Stone is stolen by Idoro for Galden to use. Sarutobi eventually regains Yamikaze from Galden. Upon mastering the Spirit Stone, Bakuretsumaru class-changes to Ryu Ninja Master Bakuretsumaru.
 Major Villains
- Jya-ryuzoku Emperor
- Hagu Hagu