Toradora! is a manic comedy anime TV series which started being broadcast by TV Tokyo in October 2008. The anime is based on a series of light novels by Yuyuko Takemiya which have also been adapted into a manga. The title とらドラ (toradora) is short for とら ドラゴン (tora doragon): tiger x dragon).
Toradora! is about the teenage boy Ryuuji Takasu ("Ryuu") who lives with his wild and carefree mother in a house that is afflicted by being overshadowed by a tall block of new luxury apartments next door. One of the block's residents is the diminuitive Taiga, a violent and unhappy girl who lives alone in squalor in a luxury apartment. The pair are drawn together by the fact they are both outcasts, Taiga because of her violent nature (she is referred to as the "palm-sized tiger") and Ryuu because he has the looks of a menacing thug (not unlike the pin-eyed Kenta Usui in Karin who was similarly afflicted).
As luck would have it, they each fancy the other's best friend (Taiga like Kitamura, Ryuu likes Minori), and enter into a pact to help each other make progress with their love interest. However their friendship quickly seems to put them at odds with their stated aims of making progress with the other's friend. Things become more complicated when Kitamura brings a beautiful childhood friend (Ami) into the picture who not only seems to have the dibs on Kitamura but immediately starts sweet talking Ryuu too, whilst being bitchy and vindictive towards Taiga on the quiet.
For a visual guide of the 5 main characters, see TV Tokyo's Toradora Chara.
- Ryuuji Takasu ("Ryuu")
- (高須竜児,Takasu Ryuuji): The main protagonist, with a pleasant and even domesticated nature (he enjoys cooking and cleaning) but an evil look. His nickname of Ryuu (竜) means dragon, which he comes to feel is appropriate as a friend of a tiger.
- Taiga Aisaka
- (逢坂大河, Aisaka Taiga): The palm-sized tiger who is ready with her fists. An extreme example of a tsundere character, alternating between violent outbursts and tearful self-doubt.
- Minori Kushieda ("Minorin")
- (櫛枝実乃梨, Kushieda Minori): Taiga's friend and Ryuu's love interest, she is crimson-haired, an effusive and friendly person but also a little weird and somewhat manic, being not only very athletic but also filling up all her spare time doing as many part time jobs as possible. Her speech and behaviour is full of wordplay and references to popular culture, especially baseball and anime. Her nickname is a diminuitive form used by Taiga. Voiced by Yui Horie.
- Yuusaku Kitamura ("Maruo")
- (北村祐作, Kitamura Yuusaku): Ryuu's friend and Taiga's love interest, he is the bespectacled and genial vice president of the student council. His nickname comes from his similarity to Sueo Maruo who is class president in the shoujo story Chibi Maruko-chan.
- Ami Kawashima
- (川嶋 亜美, Kawashima Ami) Kitamura's two-faced blue-haired childhood friend, a famous teen fashion idol. (Introduced in ep.5, and featured in the opening sequence). (Not to be confused with the very similar looking student president, Sumire Kanou).
- Yasuko Takasu ("Yacchan")
- (高須 泰子, Takasu Yasuko) Ryuu's lackadaisical mother, who works as a bar hostess.
- Sumire Kanou
- (狩野 すみれ, Kanou Sumire) Blue-haired disciplinarian president of the student council (introduced in ep.4).
 General Information
- Animation Studio
- Pre-Parade, sung by Rie Kugimiya, Yui Horie & Eri Kitamura
- Vanilla Salt, sung by Yui Horie.
Click here to view Toradora! Reviews
 External Links
Toradora! (anime) at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia
Toradora discussion forum at Animesuki
Toradora translation notes by ilifin